Monday, June 18, 2007

WWA Convention '07

Back from the Western Writers Convention. Whew. It wasn't a very long drive this year, but I still feel like I was shot from a cannon! It's just one of those things where I'm always on the move and looking for the next thing I'm supposed to do. Even when I'm "relaxing" at the bar, I'm still watching for a familiar face, wondering what panel is coming up, etc. Even so, it was as fun as ever.

I've never been to Springfield, MO before so that was cool. There were a ton of great used bookstores there, any one of which I could have spent an eternity poking through. I stayed at The Oasis hotel which was a funky little place with a great restaurant.

The signing went pretty well. For all of you who showed up and said hello, I appreciate it VERY much! I find that I'm not doing a lot of signings anymore, simply because I don't have the time. Of course, I'll post when the next signing will be on my website, but there just aren't as many as there were. This signing was very nice and I met plenty of readers who were kind enough to stop at my spot when I was sitting in such esteemed company. For any reader of the western genre, these annual signings are simply amazing. There were at least 40-50 authors there. I don't know the exact number, but it was A LOT! Considering how rare it is to get western writers together in those numbers, it's quite an event.

The rest of the convention was well organized and had some great food. Writers ALWAYS appreciate good food. Maybe it's a hold-over from the starving days. Whatever the reason, I had steak a few times in as many days and it was good.

I also talked to my editor over at Berkley (who works on THE ACCOMPLICE). Hello, Carolyn! It was nice to meet you. Thanks again for the invite!

That's about it for the convention. Next year, I believe it's going to be in Arizona. That should be a fun road trip, so I'll hopefully be able to attend. Until then, I've got a lot to keep me busy. I'll check in later.

No comments: