Tuesday, January 13, 2009

That explains all the whiskey

Man, it is COLD today! Makes me wonder how the hell people survived this back in the 1800's. I suppose the honest answer is that a lot of them didn't survive it. Sure, we've accomplished a lot since then, but we seem like a much softer species now. People complain when they have to throw on a jacket and some of them don't even remember to put on long pants when they're scraping off their cars. Yeah, I saw some guy in shorts scraping his windows in the parking lot the other day. I'm sure anyone questioning him about it will get the standard, "No, dude, I love the cold. You should try it dude!" Sure. This is what scientists call Natural Selection. Unfortunately, the modern world is much more tolerant of idiots. A hundred and fifty years ago, idiots were weeded out fairly well. At least, the idiots who don't know what to do with a coat and pants. Now, they get patched up and sent bumbling along their way to make videos of them injuring themselves for You Tube.

Appaloosa comes out on DVD today. I think it looks pretty good, so I'll check it out. Fortunately, the -20 degree winds have blown most of the snow off my car. There's still some ice on the windshield though. Maybe that dude in the shorts will scrape it off for me. Heh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

From under my twelve layers of insulating material, I saw a girl walking around campus in flip-flops today. Talk about natural selection…

Hello, Marcus, my name’s Amanda and I’m a student at Peru State College. Way back in March, you spoke at Peru, and though I’m sad to say illness prevented me from making it to your presentation that day, I have since been following your blog. (And yes… first comment… nearly a year later…)
At any rate, I just wanted to drop a line and say hello and thank you for the advice and for the inspiration. I suppose it goes without saying, but I’ll say it anyway, I’m a Language Arts major with a focus in writing. I’ve appreciated your insights and thoughts thus far and thought I’d come out of the shadows.

For Christmas, I got the first of the series “The Man From Boot Hill,” and I’m on chapter ten. (A terribly suspenseful chapter to leave off on, but schoolwork ambushed me!) Can’t wait to see what happens in the rest of the book, and series!

You haven’t had any new appearances scheduled, but I’ll keep my eye out. And perhaps I won’t wait a year before commenting again.

Stay warm, and I hope your short-clad ice-chipping service comes through for you! Ha!

-Amanda Pearson

Marcus said...

Great to hear from you, Amanda. That was a great day at Peru. Sorry you weren't able to make it. Hope you enjoy the rest of the book. Things have been really busy lately, along with the holidays, which explains the lack of appearances. I hope to change that in the new year.

So nice to hear you've been following the blog. I've got another blog over at http://digitaldreamersinc.blogspot.com/ . That one's for my newest upcoming series published under my real name (Marcus Pelegrimas). The reason I mention it here is because I got on the subject of the new series (which is horror / urban fantasy with vampires and werewolves) at the Peru State College talk. If you're in to that sort of thing have a look. If not, I'm glad you finally broke your silence over here.

Warm wishes to you as well!

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

App's out on feb 2nd in the uk. I can't wait