Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Peru State College

I spoke to some students, faculty and other folks at Peru State College today. It's a great school about eighty miles or so south of Omaha. I hadn't been there before, but am really glad I went. Everyone there was very nice and there was actually a good turnout for my lecture (speech, talk, whatever you'd want to call it). I always get nervous with these things, but I still enjoy doing them. Let me clarify that. I enjoy doing them as long as it seems like it was worth doing. Sometimes, nobody shows up or they look like the sound of my voice is something close to broken glass scraping against their eardrums. This, however, was definitely worth doing.

First of all, it's a personal triumph for me because I, like plenty of other people, spent a good deal of my life being petrified at the very prospect of speaking in front of anyone. Sure, this lecture was just me talking about writing and the whole publishing process which I know something or two about, but it's still public speaking. Everyone at Peru was very nice and made me feel right at home. Plenty of folks showed up, which was great. Nobody fell asleep while I was talking, or they covered it up well enough that I didn't notice. That's a plus. There were even some great questions. All in all, a fun experience and I hope to do it again sometime.

If anyone from Peru is reading this, it was great meeting you and feel free to drop me an email or comment on this blog. That goes for anyone else too, by the way. I don't leave the house much, so any word from the outside world is always welcome.

Now...back to work.

No comments: