Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Changing gears

Well, I suppose this is technically Spring, but it feels like Summer to me. It's heating up, the big movies are coming out and my air conditioning is on more often than not. I hate the heat, but it doesn't matter too much, since I haven't left my office very much lately. After putting the final edits onto (into?) the third ACCOMPLICE book, I'm working on another western in the Ralph Compton series. So far, I'm liking the book but it's taking a bit to hit my stride.

That's a funny thing with writing. Since I write more than one or two books a year, I often find myself switching from one story to the next. Not only are there different characters, but different tones, moods, and pacing that go along with those other books. Writing an ACCOMPLICE is a whole different ball of wax than writing a BOOT HILL. If they weren't, they'd all just be the same thing.

Now, don't get me wrong. I do love switching between stories and characters. It keeps my job fresh and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's just easier to switch gears some times than others. Maybe it's the heat. Everything seems to slow down when it gets hot. Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's just me in the heat. I also tend to babble more when it's hot. Have you noticed?

Heh.

Oh well. That's about it for now. Go see one of the big movies that are coming out. Have some popcorn. In my opinion, that's the best part of Summer now that I'm out of school and don't get to be. . .well. . .out of school during the Summer. Big budget blockbusters may not be the most intellectually stimulating fare, but they do a hell of a good job of keeping our eyes busy.

2 comments:

Mama K said...

See I told you I read your blog........waiting to hear more exciting news.
Your wonderful and spectacular, Mother-in-Law!
Mama K

Marcus said...

Thanks mama K! At least someone out there is reading this stuff.