Monday, September 22, 2008

Snuck up on me


Wow, time really does fly. It's already the end of September, which means the beginning of October isn't far away. That, for the readers patient enough to make it this far, means it's almost time for the third ACCOMPLICE book to hit store shelves. The Silent Partner covers a small period of time where Doc was supposed to have been in Deadwood. It's also rumored he may have crossed paths with Wyatt Earp, but might not have officially met him.


When I wrote this one, I thought I'd have a little piece in Deadwood and then move on. Turned out half the book wound up in Deadwood, simply because it was fun to write. Those of you who watched the HBO series (Deadwood) will probably recognize some familiar characters. While I based these guys on accounts of their true activities, so did the people who made the series. I really liked that show and, thanks to DVD, still do. Also, I've been to Deadwood a few times recently so writing that section was great.


I didn't want to rush the ACCOMPLICE books too quickly toward Tombstone. I've always said that Doc had a hell of a career before the OK Corral and wanted to take my time with a period in Doc's life that isn't so familiar. That being said, a lot happens in this book. Once Doc hit his stride in the gambling scene, he met a lot of famous folks and kicked up a lot of dust. The Silent Partner covers a span where he meets Wyatt (in Deadwood as well as the more "official first meeting") along with Kate Elder. Kate was a lot of fun to write. There's almost as much contradictory stuff about her as there is of Doc and I had to pick and choose which "facts" to run with.


I didn't really intend on doing such a long post about this. The book's coming out on Oct. 7. I've got to be honest about the cover. I'm not crazy about it. Caleb doesn't look anything like I imagine and I don't know who that third guy is supposed to be. At the very least, I suggested changing Doc's cane into something a dandy like him would actually use. The suggestions were passed along and nothing was changed. Oh well. I had fun writing it and I hope you have fun reading it.
---edit 9/23 --> I just got an advance copy of the book today and it looks ok. I still don't think this cover is up to par with the first two, but never fear. The stuff between the covers is just fine!

4 comments:

Steve M said...

Having a problem getting a copy of this here in the UK, but I will eventually!

From your comments I'm guessing there's more to come soon?

Steve

Marcus said...

I don't know a lot about international shipping, but the book icons on the left0hand section of my blog page link to Amazon.com. Would they ship it to you? As for the next Accomplice, I know the publisher is happy with their performance, but I won't hear about any new deals this close to the holidays. Yes, it's disgusting that early October is considered "close to the holidays", but the New York big wigs also take a week off for Memorial Day. Lord only knows what they'd take if it was called Memorial WEEK.

Steve M said...

Amazon do but the shipping costs are a little over the top.

Amazon UK have it as not available. I buy loads of American westerns from them, but for reasons not explained, they seem to keep saying they've not been released yet when I know they're for sale elsewhere in the world, even other places in the UK (if I can find them). They do finally sell the book but about 2 months after the release date. Just gotta be patient I guess...

Fingers crossed the publisher offers you a new contract.

Marcus said...

Thanks for the kind words, Steve. If you haven't found a copy by the time you read this, send me an email at marcusgalloway@msn.com and I'll see if I can get one out to you.